Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
West Cairn, Clava
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2471_P048
PLACENAME
Clava
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Croy and Dalcross
PERIOD
2000BC
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31566
KEYWORDS
cairns
Clava
Clava cairns
Balnuaran
burial chambers
burials
stones
standing stones
archaeology
excavations
West Cairn, Clava

The site at Balnuaran of Clava comprises of two chambered cairns and a ring cairn, each surrounded by a stone circle. The site has given its name to two varieties of cairns found in and around the Inverness area (ring cairn and passage grave). It was originally thought that the site dates from the late-Neolithic but recent excavation work suggests they may be later, from the Bronze Age.

The passageways of the two burial cairns or passage-graves are aligned to the midwinter solstice, the day with the shortest period of daylight in the year. The kerb stones and the standing stones are also graded in size, becoming larger towards the southwest and the midwinter sunset. Excavations in 1828, 1857 and the 1950s revealed pieces of pottery and flint and cremated human bones. The site was obviously of great significance and was possibly reserved for people of high status.

This illustration is taken from 'The Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland' vol.3

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

West Cairn, Clava

INVERNESS: Croy and Dalcross

2000BC

cairns; Clava; Clava cairns; Balnuaran; burial chambers; burials; stones; standing stones; archaeology; excavations

Highland Libraries

Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland (illustrations)

The site at Balnuaran of Clava comprises of two chambered cairns and a ring cairn, each surrounded by a stone circle. The site has given its name to two varieties of cairns found in and around the Inverness area (ring cairn and passage grave). It was originally thought that the site dates from the late-Neolithic but recent excavation work suggests they may be later, from the Bronze Age. <br /> <br /> The passageways of the two burial cairns or passage-graves are aligned to the midwinter solstice, the day with the shortest period of daylight in the year. The kerb stones and the standing stones are also graded in size, becoming larger towards the southwest and the midwinter sunset. Excavations in 1828, 1857 and the 1950s revealed pieces of pottery and flint and cremated human bones. The site was obviously of great significance and was possibly reserved for people of high status.<br /> <br /> This illustration is taken from 'The Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland' vol.3