Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Reindeer antler from Harbour Broch, Keiss and Yarhouse Broch, Caithness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2471_P199
PLACENAME
Keiss
DISTRICT
Easter Caithness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
DATE OF IMAGE
1871
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31590
KEYWORDS
reindeer antlers
Harbour Broch
Keiss
Yarhouse Broch
combs
hammers
mattocks, rakes, picks, harpoons
Reindeer antler from Harbour Broch, Keiss and Yarhouse Broch, Caithness

These pieces of reindeer antler were found at Harbour Broch, Keiss and Yarhouse Broch near Wick, Caithness. Early peoples in Scotland used deer antler for various types of tools; combs, hammers, mattocks, rakes, picks and harpoons. Some of the tools took the natural shape of the antler while others were worked into fashion. The antler was easy to come by and easy to work. It produced light, strong, flexible and resilient objects.

The illustration is from the 'Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland', Vol VIII, 1871

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Reindeer antler from Harbour Broch, Keiss and Yarhouse Broch, Caithness

CAITHNESS: Wick

reindeer antlers; Harbour Broch; Keiss; Yarhouse Broch; combs; hammers; mattocks, rakes, picks, harpoons

Highland Libraries

Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland (illustrations)

These pieces of reindeer antler were found at Harbour Broch, Keiss and Yarhouse Broch near Wick, Caithness. Early peoples in Scotland used deer antler for various types of tools; combs, hammers, mattocks, rakes, picks and harpoons. Some of the tools took the natural shape of the antler while others were worked into fashion. The antler was easy to come by and easy to work. It produced light, strong, flexible and resilient objects.<br /> <br /> The illustration is from the 'Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland', Vol VIII, 1871