Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Sandstone cup found at chambered cairn, Breckigo, Caithness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2471_P232
PLACENAME
Thrumster
DISTRICT
Eastern
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
DATE OF IMAGE
1871
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31595
KEYWORDS
Breckigo
Thrumster
chambered cairns
cups
Sandstone cup found at chambered cairn, Breckigo, Caithness

This sandstone cup was found at a chambered cairn at Breckigo, Thrumster in Caithness. Other finds from the cairn included a round stone ball and a polished granite hammer.

Stone cups date from the Iron Age to Medieval period. Most of them are found in northeast Scotland and they can vary in size and style, with about half being decorated. Some may have been used as lamps. This example is vertically ribbed or fluted on the outside. The base is decorated with a pattern similar to that of a flower calyx.

The illustration is from the 'Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland', Vol VIII, 1871

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Sandstone cup found at chambered cairn, Breckigo, Caithness

CAITHNESS: Wick

Breckigo; Thrumster; chambered cairns; cups;

Highland Libraries

Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland (illustrations)

This sandstone cup was found at a chambered cairn at Breckigo, Thrumster in Caithness. Other finds from the cairn included a round stone ball and a polished granite hammer. <br /> <br /> Stone cups date from the Iron Age to Medieval period. Most of them are found in northeast Scotland and they can vary in size and style, with about half being decorated. Some may have been used as lamps. This example is vertically ribbed or fluted on the outside. The base is decorated with a pattern similar to that of a flower calyx.<br /> <br /> The illustration is from the 'Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland', Vol VIII, 1871