Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Stone at Edderton
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2475_1_P006
PLACENAME
Edderton
DISTRICT
Tain
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Edderton
DATE OF IMAGE
1857
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31680
KEYWORDS
Pictish stones
carved stones
carvings
Picts
standing stones
crosses
Stone at Edderton

Carved in relief on both faces, Pictish standing stones remain something of a mystery. The later slabs usually contain a cross as well as numerous Pictish symbols which may have mythological or religious meanings. However, as many symbols appear in pairs they may designate particular lineages or kindreds.

Gradually, between 600 and 800 AD, most of the Picts were converted to Christianity. It is during this time that the carved stones for which the Picts are renowned were produced.

The cross-slab, now leaning, in Edderton churchyard is designated a Class 3 stone. A Class 3 Pictish stone is any stone dating from the 8th or 9th century where no symbol has been identified.

On the west face is a Celtic cross, with a broad circle around the intersection; on the east face a Latin cross and a horseman in relief. The two lower horsemen are now concealed beneath the ground. No Pictish symbols are visible.

Fragments of Pictish stones found in the churchyard are now in Tain Museum.

This plate is taken from 'A Short Account of some Carved Stones in Ross-shire, accompanied with a series of Outline Engravings' by Charles Carter Petley and published in 'Archaeologia Scotica or Transactions of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland', vol IV (1857)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Stone at Edderton

ROSS: Edderton

Pictish stones; carved stones; carvings; Picts; standing stones; crosses

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Carved in relief on both faces, Pictish standing stones remain something of a mystery. The later slabs usually contain a cross as well as numerous Pictish symbols which may have mythological or religious meanings. However, as many symbols appear in pairs they may designate particular lineages or kindreds. <br /> <br /> Gradually, between 600 and 800 AD, most of the Picts were converted to Christianity. It is during this time that the carved stones for which the Picts are renowned were produced.<br /> <br /> The cross-slab, now leaning, in Edderton churchyard is designated a Class 3 stone. A Class 3 Pictish stone is any stone dating from the 8th or 9th century where no symbol has been identified. <br /> <br /> On the west face is a Celtic cross, with a broad circle around the intersection; on the east face a Latin cross and a horseman in relief. The two lower horsemen are now concealed beneath the ground. No Pictish symbols are visible.<br /> <br /> Fragments of Pictish stones found in the churchyard are now in Tain Museum.<br /> <br /> This plate is taken from 'A Short Account of some Carved Stones in Ross-shire, accompanied with a series of Outline Engravings' by Charles Carter Petley and published in 'Archaeologia Scotica or Transactions of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland', vol IV (1857)