Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cross at Kilmory, South Knapdale
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2475_1_P010
PLACENAME
Kilmory
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: South Knapdale
DATE OF IMAGE
1857
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31684
KEYWORDS
Pictish stones
carved stones
carvings
Picts
standing stones
crosses
celtpicted
Cross at Kilmory, South Knapdale

MacMillan's Cross is in Kilmory Knap, a small medieval church in Kintyre with a collection of typical West Highland grave slabs, a few miles south of Castle Sween on the Knapdale coastline.

The cross, approximately 12 feet tall, was commissioned by Alexander MacMillan, the same chief who occupied Castle Sween in the 15th century. On one side of the cross is a crucifixion scene above a claymore. On the other is a hunting scene with the kilted chief and hounds hunting deer. This is the first known depiction of a Highlander in a kilt.

About 1360, many members of the Macmillan clan went to Knapdale in Kintyre where their first identifiable chief was 'Malcolm Mor of Knap' who held his lands by 'MacMillan's Right' from the Lords of the Isles. Tradition relates that the 'Right' was engraved on a stone, but no trace of it now remains. They erected the large Celtic cross at Kilmory Knap and increased their property by marriage with a MacNeil heiress. They occupied much of South Knapdale and Kilchamaig until much was forfeited when the Lordship of the Isles fell at the end of the 15th century. The remaining lands were eventually lost to the Campbells.

The cross previously stood outside in the churchyard but has been removed to within the church.

This plate is taken from 'Description of an Ancient Cross at Kilmory, in Argyleshire' by Wilson Dobie Wilson and published in 'Archaeologia Scotica or Transactions of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland', vol IV (1857)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cross at Kilmory, South Knapdale

ARGYLL: South Knapdale

Pictish stones; carved stones; carvings; Picts; standing stones; crosses; celtpicted

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

MacMillan's Cross is in Kilmory Knap, a small medieval church in Kintyre with a collection of typical West Highland grave slabs, a few miles south of Castle Sween on the Knapdale coastline.<br /> <br /> The cross, approximately 12 feet tall, was commissioned by Alexander MacMillan, the same chief who occupied Castle Sween in the 15th century. On one side of the cross is a crucifixion scene above a claymore. On the other is a hunting scene with the kilted chief and hounds hunting deer. This is the first known depiction of a Highlander in a kilt.<br /> <br /> About 1360, many members of the Macmillan clan went to Knapdale in Kintyre where their first identifiable chief was 'Malcolm Mor of Knap' who held his lands by 'MacMillan's Right' from the Lords of the Isles. Tradition relates that the 'Right' was engraved on a stone, but no trace of it now remains. They erected the large Celtic cross at Kilmory Knap and increased their property by marriage with a MacNeil heiress. They occupied much of South Knapdale and Kilchamaig until much was forfeited when the Lordship of the Isles fell at the end of the 15th century. The remaining lands were eventually lost to the Campbells.<br /> <br /> The cross previously stood outside in the churchyard but has been removed to within the church.<br /> <br /> This plate is taken from 'Description of an Ancient Cross at Kilmory, in Argyleshire' by Wilson Dobie Wilson and published in 'Archaeologia Scotica or Transactions of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland', vol IV (1857)