Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dun Bhragair, Barvas, Lewis
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2475_3_P001
PLACENAME
Bragar
DISTRICT
Lewis
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Barvas
DATE OF IMAGE
1890
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31696
KEYWORDS
Bragair
zoomable

Sometimes known as Bragar Broch, the collapsed remains of this dun lie on a small island in Loch an Duna. "It was a cylindrical tower, of undressed stones, and without mortar....it faces the water, which shows some strategical forethought. When on an island the door usually faces the stepping stones" According to the New Statistical Account the remains were well-preserved as recently as 1837. It is linked to the mainland by a waterlogged causeway close to the A858 at Bragar.

This plate, and quotation, are taken from 'On the Duns of the Outer Hebrides' by F.W.L.Thomas and published in 'Archaeologia Scotica or Transactions of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland', vol V (1890)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dun Bhragair, Barvas, Lewis

ROSS: Barvas

1890s

Bragair; zoomable

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (maps)

Sometimes known as Bragar Broch, the collapsed remains of this dun lie on a small island in Loch an Duna. "It was a cylindrical tower, of undressed stones, and without mortar....it faces the water, which shows some strategical forethought. When on an island the door usually faces the stepping stones" According to the New Statistical Account the remains were well-preserved as recently as 1837. It is linked to the mainland by a waterlogged causeway close to the A858 at Bragar.<br /> <br /> This plate, and quotation, are taken from 'On the Duns of the Outer Hebrides' by F.W.L.Thomas and published in 'Archaeologia Scotica or Transactions of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland', vol V (1890)