Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Shandwick Stone Cross Slab
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2475_P001
PLACENAME
Shandwick
DISTRICT
Fearn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Nigg
DATE OF IMAGE
1857
PERIOD
1850s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31702
KEYWORDS
Pictish stones
stones
carved stones
carvings
Picts
standing stones
Shandwick
Shandwick Stone Cross Slab

The Shandwick Stone stands on a hill above the village of Shandwick facing out to the sea. The stone is also known as Clach a' Charraidh or Stone of the Graves as a burial ground was recorded there in the 19th century.

The Shandwick Stone is as Class II Pictish Stone which dates from the 8th or 9th century. A Class II stone is usually a quarried and cut rectangular slab. The carvings are very intricate and done in relief with one side having an elaborate Christian cross carving. The reverse side contains other Pictish symbols and scenes.

The stone is about 10ft (3m) tall and blew down in a gale in 1846. It has since been restored and is now back on its original site but is now housed in a glass case.

This image shows the cross side of the stone. The cross is carved using a number of raised bosses and interlocking spirals.

This plate is taken from 'Archaeologia Scotica or Transactions of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, vol IV, part III'

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Shandwick Stone Cross Slab

ROSS: Nigg

1850s

Pictish stones; stones; carved stones; carvings; Picts; standing stones; Shandwick

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The Shandwick Stone stands on a hill above the village of Shandwick facing out to the sea. The stone is also known as Clach a' Charraidh or Stone of the Graves as a burial ground was recorded there in the 19th century. <br /> <br /> The Shandwick Stone is as Class II Pictish Stone which dates from the 8th or 9th century. A Class II stone is usually a quarried and cut rectangular slab. The carvings are very intricate and done in relief with one side having an elaborate Christian cross carving. The reverse side contains other Pictish symbols and scenes.<br /> <br /> The stone is about 10ft (3m) tall and blew down in a gale in 1846. It has since been restored and is now back on its original site but is now housed in a glass case.<br /> <br /> This image shows the cross side of the stone. The cross is carved using a number of raised bosses and interlocking spirals.<br /> <br /> This plate is taken from 'Archaeologia Scotica or Transactions of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, vol IV, part III'