Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Hilton of Cadboll Stone
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2475_P003
PLACENAME
Hilton of Cadboll
DISTRICT
Fearn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Fearn
DATE OF IMAGE
1857
PERIOD
1850s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31706
KEYWORDS
Pictish stones
stones
carved stones
carvings
Picts
standing stones
symbols
Hilton of Cadboll Stone

The Pictish cross slab at Hilton of Cadboll stood beside the ruined medieval chapel of St Mary's until 1676 when the ornamentation on the cross side was chiselled off so that the stone could be used as a grave slab. The stone was too heavy to move and was discarded.

The stone was later removed to Invergordon Castle and then the British Museum in London before being moved to the National Museum in Edinburgh where it remains.

The reverse side of the class II stone has three panels. The top panel shows a double-disc and z-rod above a crescent and v-rod and two discs. The middle panel shows a hunting scene with two warriors, two trumpeters and a deer being attacked by two hounds. Also in the scene is a female side-saddle rider riding abreast with another rider. A mirror and comb case are shown beside them.

The bottom panel contains an interlocking spiral design and there is an inhabited scroll design going up both sides of the stone face. The lower half of the bottom panel was missing until 2001, when it was found buried near the chapel ruins.

In 2000, sculptor Barry Grove, in close consultation with Richard Easson of Tain Civic Trust, undertook a project to recreate the Hilton stone. The reverse side, completed in 2000, is not an exact replica as there were parts missing from the original. The bottom panel of the reconstructed stone was found to be very similar to the original when it was found a year later. A cross side for the reconstructed stone is being carved using the bottom panel and fragments of the original which were excavated in 2001.

This plate is taken from 'Archaeologia Scotica or Transactions of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, vol IV, part III'

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Hilton of Cadboll Stone

ROSS: Fearn

1850s

Pictish stones; stones; carved stones; carvings; Picts; standing stones; symbols

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The Pictish cross slab at Hilton of Cadboll stood beside the ruined medieval chapel of St Mary's until 1676 when the ornamentation on the cross side was chiselled off so that the stone could be used as a grave slab. The stone was too heavy to move and was discarded.<br /> <br /> The stone was later removed to Invergordon Castle and then the British Museum in London before being moved to the National Museum in Edinburgh where it remains.<br /> <br /> The reverse side of the class II stone has three panels. The top panel shows a double-disc and z-rod above a crescent and v-rod and two discs. The middle panel shows a hunting scene with two warriors, two trumpeters and a deer being attacked by two hounds. Also in the scene is a female side-saddle rider riding abreast with another rider. A mirror and comb case are shown beside them.<br /> <br /> The bottom panel contains an interlocking spiral design and there is an inhabited scroll design going up both sides of the stone face. The lower half of the bottom panel was missing until 2001, when it was found buried near the chapel ruins.<br /> <br /> In 2000, sculptor Barry Grove, in close consultation with Richard Easson of Tain Civic Trust, undertook a project to recreate the Hilton stone. The reverse side, completed in 2000, is not an exact replica as there were parts missing from the original. The bottom panel of the reconstructed stone was found to be very similar to the original when it was found a year later. A cross side for the reconstructed stone is being carved using the bottom panel and fragments of the original which were excavated in 2001.<br /> <br /> This plate is taken from 'Archaeologia Scotica or Transactions of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, vol IV, part III'