Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_3289_P001
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
PERIOD
1690s
CREATOR
John Slezer
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31742
KEYWORDS
towns
cities
battles
capitals
Royal Burghs
Jacobites
churches
cathedrals
rivers
lochs
Caledonian Canal
canals
Inverness

This view of Inverness was reproduced from an engraving that appeared in Slezer's 'Theatrum Scotiae'. John Slezer was a native of Holland who settled in Scotland in 1669. His passion for historic buildings led him to make a set of engravings of Scottish cities. The resulting 'Theatrum Scotiae' also had texts by Sir Robert Sibbald and is still used as an important primary source.

Inverness lies at the head of the Great Glen on the banks of the River Ness. It is often referred to as the capital of the Highlands. Inverness was established as a Royal Burgh by King David in 1158. It has associations with Macbeth, who built a castle there. In 1303 the town was occupied by English troops but it was subsequently passed to Robert the Bruce's supporters until 1508 when keepership passed to the Earl of Huntly during the Glorious Revolution of 1688. Since the end of the 17th century Inverness has seen the 1745 Jacobite Rising, culminating in the Battle of Culloden in 1746, the coming of the Caledonian Canal in 1822 and the only British Cabinet meeting to be held outside London. The meeting took place in Inverness Town House in 1921 when Ireland rejected the King and Empire while Lloyd George was on holiday in Wester Ross. Because of its involvement in so much of Scotland's violent history there are very few buildings of historic significance left in Inverness, the Old High Church being a notable exception, and much of the architecture dates from the 19th century. Famously not a city due to the lack of spires on its Cathedral, Inverness was granted city status in 2000 as one of three Millennium Cities.

This engraving can be found in 'Invernessiana: Contributions toward A History of the Town and Parish of Inverness, from 1160 to 1599', by Charles Fraser-Mackintosh. It is digitised from Fraser-Mackintosh's own copy, part of his book collection which is now held in Inverness Library

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1690s

towns; cities; battles; capitals; Royal Burghs; Jacobites; churches; cathedrals; rivers; lochs; Caledonian Canal; canals

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

This view of Inverness was reproduced from an engraving that appeared in Slezer's 'Theatrum Scotiae'. John Slezer was a native of Holland who settled in Scotland in 1669. His passion for historic buildings led him to make a set of engravings of Scottish cities. The resulting 'Theatrum Scotiae' also had texts by Sir Robert Sibbald and is still used as an important primary source.<br /> <br /> Inverness lies at the head of the Great Glen on the banks of the River Ness. It is often referred to as the capital of the Highlands. Inverness was established as a Royal Burgh by King David in 1158. It has associations with Macbeth, who built a castle there. In 1303 the town was occupied by English troops but it was subsequently passed to Robert the Bruce's supporters until 1508 when keepership passed to the Earl of Huntly during the Glorious Revolution of 1688. Since the end of the 17th century Inverness has seen the 1745 Jacobite Rising, culminating in the Battle of Culloden in 1746, the coming of the Caledonian Canal in 1822 and the only British Cabinet meeting to be held outside London. The meeting took place in Inverness Town House in 1921 when Ireland rejected the King and Empire while Lloyd George was on holiday in Wester Ross. Because of its involvement in so much of Scotland's violent history there are very few buildings of historic significance left in Inverness, the Old High Church being a notable exception, and much of the architecture dates from the 19th century. Famously not a city due to the lack of spires on its Cathedral, Inverness was granted city status in 2000 as one of three Millennium Cities. <br /> <br /> This engraving can be found in 'Invernessiana: Contributions toward A History of the Town and Parish of Inverness, from 1160 to 1599', by Charles Fraser-Mackintosh. It is digitised from Fraser-Mackintosh's own copy, part of his book collection which is now held in Inverness Library