Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Tor Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_3289_P048
PLACENAME
Torcastle
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmallie
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
PERIOD
1870s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31748
KEYWORDS
castles
clans
lands
strongholds
fortified houses
seats
Tor Castle

Torcastle was the seat of Gillichattan Mor the founder of the Clan Chattan. Clan Chattan has many septs including the Mackintosh clan who are the chiefs of Clan Chattan.

It was around the time of Malcolm II that Torcastle became the seat of the Clan Chattan and the chiefs lived there for many years.

The Clan Chattan lands at Lochaber were later ceded to the Camerons who also built a stronghold there.

This engraving can be found in 'Invernessiana: Contributions toward A History of the Town and Parish of Inverness, from 1160 to 1599', by Charles Fraser-Mackintosh. It is digitised from Fraser-Mackintosh's own copy, part of his book collection which is now held in Inverness Library

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Tor Castle

INVERNESS: Kilmallie

1870s

castles; clans; lands; strongholds; fortified houses; seats

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Torcastle was the seat of Gillichattan Mor the founder of the Clan Chattan. Clan Chattan has many septs including the Mackintosh clan who are the chiefs of Clan Chattan.<br /> <br /> It was around the time of Malcolm II that Torcastle became the seat of the Clan Chattan and the chiefs lived there for many years.<br /> <br /> The Clan Chattan lands at Lochaber were later ceded to the Camerons who also built a stronghold there.<br /> <br /> This engraving can be found in 'Invernessiana: Contributions toward A History of the Town and Parish of Inverness, from 1160 to 1599', by Charles Fraser-Mackintosh. It is digitised from Fraser-Mackintosh's own copy, part of his book collection which is now held in Inverness Library