Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Gateway in Castle Street, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_3289_P114
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
PERIOD
1870s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31749
KEYWORDS
gates
courts
closes
gateways
gate ways
families
Gateway in Castle Street, Inverness

This gateway was on the east side of Castle Street in Inverness. The property belonged to the Robertson of Inshes family. The property was known as Deemsdale (or Doomsdale) in the Middle Ages as it led to the place where people were hanged.

The stone lintel above the gate bears the words 'Feir Got. Dvt Not. HA Robertson' (Fear God and Doubt Not).

This engraving can be found in 'Invernessiana: Contributions toward A History of the Town and Parish of Inverness, from 1160 to 1599', by Charles Fraser-Mackintosh. It is digitised from Fraser-Mackintosh's own copy, part of his book collection which is now held in Inverness Library

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Gateway in Castle Street, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1870s

gates; courts; closes; gateways; gate ways; families

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

This gateway was on the east side of Castle Street in Inverness. The property belonged to the Robertson of Inshes family. The property was known as Deemsdale (or Doomsdale) in the Middle Ages as it led to the place where people were hanged.<br /> <br /> The stone lintel above the gate bears the words 'Feir Got. Dvt Not. HA Robertson' (Fear God and Doubt Not).<br /> <br /> This engraving can be found in 'Invernessiana: Contributions toward A History of the Town and Parish of Inverness, from 1160 to 1599', by Charles Fraser-Mackintosh. It is digitised from Fraser-Mackintosh's own copy, part of his book collection which is now held in Inverness Library