Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Church of Cawdor, village and castle in 1803
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_3443_P003
PLACENAME
Cawdor
DISTRICT
Nairn (landward)
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
NAIRN: Cawdor
PERIOD
1800s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31756
KEYWORDS
villages
Cawdor
castles
rivers
burns
churches
Coats of Arms
Jacobites
families
Church of Cawdor, village and castle in 1803

The village of Cawdor is situated 13 miles east of Inverness. It stands on the banks of the Cawdor Burn which is a tributary of the River Nairn. The parish church of Cawdor contains the Coats of Arms of a number of the Thanes of Cawdor.

Behind the village stands Cawdor Castle built under a Royal license granted to the then Thane of Cawdor in 1454. Major alterations were made to the castle from 1660-1670 by Sir Hugh Campbell of Cawdor, not long before the family relocated to Wales after admitting their Jacobite sympathies.

The family eventually returned to Cawdor castle and now run it as a visitor attraction.

This illustration is one of a set bound with an anonymous manuscript entitled 'The Ancient and Honourable Family of Calder', from the Fraser-Mackintosh Collection at Inverness Library

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Church of Cawdor, village and castle in 1803

NAIRN: Cawdor

1800s

villages; Cawdor; castles; rivers; burns; churches; Coats of Arms; Jacobites; families

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The village of Cawdor is situated 13 miles east of Inverness. It stands on the banks of the Cawdor Burn which is a tributary of the River Nairn. The parish church of Cawdor contains the Coats of Arms of a number of the Thanes of Cawdor. <br /> <br /> Behind the village stands Cawdor Castle built under a Royal license granted to the then Thane of Cawdor in 1454. Major alterations were made to the castle from 1660-1670 by Sir Hugh Campbell of Cawdor, not long before the family relocated to Wales after admitting their Jacobite sympathies.<br /> <br /> The family eventually returned to Cawdor castle and now run it as a visitor attraction.<br /> <br /> This illustration is one of a set bound with an anonymous manuscript entitled 'The Ancient and Honourable Family of Calder', from the Fraser-Mackintosh Collection at Inverness Library