Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bridge on the burn to the Hermitage in 1805
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_3443_P004
PLACENAME
Cawdor Estate
DISTRICT
Nairn (landward)
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
NAIRN: Cawdor
PERIOD
1800s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31757
KEYWORDS
castles
grounds
gardens
rivers
burns
Jacobites
families
clans
Bridge on the burn to the Hermitage in 1805

Cawdor Castle, about 13 miles east of Inverness, has extensive grounds. As well as the officially tended gardens there are a number of walks around the grounds and the woods. A small hermitage or hideaway was common in large castle grounds.

Cawdor Castle was built under a Royal license granted to the then Thane of Cawdor in 1454. Major alterations were made to the castle from 1660-1670 by Sir Hugh Campbell of Cawdor, not long before the family relocated to Wales after admitting their Jacobite sympathies.

The family eventually returned to Cawdor Castle and now run it as a visitor attraction.

This illustration is one of a set bound with an anonymous manuscript entitled 'The Ancient and Honourable Family of Calder', from the Fraser-Mackintosh Collection at Inverness Library

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bridge on the burn to the Hermitage in 1805

NAIRN: Cawdor

1800s

castles; grounds; gardens; rivers; burns; Jacobites; families; clans

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Cawdor Castle, about 13 miles east of Inverness, has extensive grounds. As well as the officially tended gardens there are a number of walks around the grounds and the woods. A small hermitage or hideaway was common in large castle grounds.<br /> <br /> Cawdor Castle was built under a Royal license granted to the then Thane of Cawdor in 1454. Major alterations were made to the castle from 1660-1670 by Sir Hugh Campbell of Cawdor, not long before the family relocated to Wales after admitting their Jacobite sympathies.<br /> <br /> The family eventually returned to Cawdor Castle and now run it as a visitor attraction.<br /> <br /> This illustration is one of a set bound with an anonymous manuscript entitled 'The Ancient and Honourable Family of Calder', from the Fraser-Mackintosh Collection at Inverness Library