Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Hermitage in the wood of Cawdor
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_3443_P005
PLACENAME
Cawdor Estate
DISTRICT
Nairn (landward)
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
NAIRN: Cawdor
PERIOD
1800s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31758
KEYWORDS
castles
grounds
gardens
rivers
burns
Jacobites
families
clans
woods
Hermitage in the wood of Cawdor

Cawdor Castle, about 13 miles east of Inverness, has extensive grounds, including the Big Wood. The wood has an area of almost 160 hectares and is one of the best examples of western oak woodland in the UK. As well as oak trees the wood also has birch, beech, holly, rowan and Scots pine, and is home to a wide variety of wildlife. A small hermitage or hideaway was also common in large castle grounds.

Cawdor Castle was built under a Royal license granted to the then Thane of Cawdor in 1454. Major alterations were made to the castle from 1660-1670 by Sir Hugh Campbell of Cawdor not long before the family relocated to Wales after admitting their Jacobite sympathies.

The family eventually returned to Cawdor castle and now run it as a visitor attraction.

This illustration is one of a set bound with an anonymous manuscript entitled 'The Ancient and Honourable Family of Calder', from the Fraser-Mackintosh Collection at Inverness Library

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Hermitage in the wood of Cawdor

NAIRN: Cawdor

1800s

castles; grounds; gardens; rivers; burns; Jacobites; families; clans; woods

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Cawdor Castle, about 13 miles east of Inverness, has extensive grounds, including the Big Wood. The wood has an area of almost 160 hectares and is one of the best examples of western oak woodland in the UK. As well as oak trees the wood also has birch, beech, holly, rowan and Scots pine, and is home to a wide variety of wildlife. A small hermitage or hideaway was also common in large castle grounds.<br /> <br /> Cawdor Castle was built under a Royal license granted to the then Thane of Cawdor in 1454. Major alterations were made to the castle from 1660-1670 by Sir Hugh Campbell of Cawdor not long before the family relocated to Wales after admitting their Jacobite sympathies.<br /> <br /> The family eventually returned to Cawdor castle and now run it as a visitor attraction.<br /> <br /> This illustration is one of a set bound with an anonymous manuscript entitled 'The Ancient and Honourable Family of Calder', from the Fraser-Mackintosh Collection at Inverness Library