Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kilravock Castle from the lawn with the Cawdor woods behind in 1803
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_3443_P006
PLACENAME
Kilravock Castle
DISTRICT
Nairn (landward)
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
NAIRN: Croy and Dalcross
PERIOD
1800s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31759
KEYWORDS
Kilravock
castles
rivers
towers
masons
families
mansions
Kilravock Castle from the lawn with the Cawdor woods behind in 1803

Kilravock Castle stands about 5 miles west of Nairn, near Cawdor Castle, overlooking the River Nairn. The original tower was built in 1460 by the Rose family of Nairn under the license of John, Lord of the Isles and Earl of Ross. The mansion extension was added in the 17th century. It is believed that the designer also designed Cawdor Castle as the same mason's marks are found in the doorway stonework of both castles.

This illustration is one of a set bound with an anonymous manuscript entitled 'The Ancient and Honourable Family of Calder', from the Fraser-Mackintosh Collection at Inverness Library

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kilravock Castle from the lawn with the Cawdor woods behind in 1803

NAIRN: Croy and Dalcross

1800s

Kilravock; castles; rivers; towers; masons; families; mansions

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Kilravock Castle stands about 5 miles west of Nairn, near Cawdor Castle, overlooking the River Nairn. The original tower was built in 1460 by the Rose family of Nairn under the license of John, Lord of the Isles and Earl of Ross. The mansion extension was added in the 17th century. It is believed that the designer also designed Cawdor Castle as the same mason's marks are found in the doorway stonework of both castles.<br /> <br /> This illustration is one of a set bound with an anonymous manuscript entitled 'The Ancient and Honourable Family of Calder', from the Fraser-Mackintosh Collection at Inverness Library