Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Map of the Ladies' Schools in the Highlands and Islands
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_21935_P690A
PLACENAME
Highlands and Islands
DATE OF IMAGE
1893
PERIOD
1890s
CREATOR
W & A K Johnston
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31769
KEYWORDS
churches
Disruption
Free Church
Established Church
presbyterianism
maps
zoomable

This map shows 'the localities occupied by the Ladies' Schools in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.'

The Ladies' Association of Edinburgh was established in 1850. It aimed to support the establishment of Free Church Schools in the Highlands. As well as supporting the economic, intellectual and spiritual needs of the population, they would also enable more Gaelic-speaking young men to become students for the ministry. The students would attend classes during the winter but from April to the autumn they would teach at the Highland Free Church schools.

The Patronage Act of 1712 attempted to reintroduce a system of Patronage into the Church of Scotland. This meant that the local landowner, or Patron, and not the people would choose the minister of a church. This was highly unpopular with the congregations as the patron did not always have the best interests of the church at heart. In 1843 this conflict caused the church to split. Almost 500 ministers left the Church of Scotland General Assembly to form the Church of Scotland Free (later known as the Free Church of Scotland).
The Free Church was faced with the huge task of providing churches, manses, schools and ministers for all its congregations.

This map is from the book 'Annals of the Disruption; with extracts from the narratives of Ministers who left the Scottish Establishment in 1843', by Rev Thomas Brown (1893)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Map of the Ladies' Schools in the Highlands and Islands

1890s

churches; Disruption; Free Church; Established Church; presbyterianism; maps; zoomable

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (maps)

This map shows 'the localities occupied by the Ladies' Schools in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.'<br /> <br /> The Ladies' Association of Edinburgh was established in 1850. It aimed to support the establishment of Free Church Schools in the Highlands. As well as supporting the economic, intellectual and spiritual needs of the population, they would also enable more Gaelic-speaking young men to become students for the ministry. The students would attend classes during the winter but from April to the autumn they would teach at the Highland Free Church schools.<br /> <br /> The Patronage Act of 1712 attempted to reintroduce a system of Patronage into the Church of Scotland. This meant that the local landowner, or Patron, and not the people would choose the minister of a church. This was highly unpopular with the congregations as the patron did not always have the best interests of the church at heart. In 1843 this conflict caused the church to split. Almost 500 ministers left the Church of Scotland General Assembly to form the Church of Scotland Free (later known as the Free Church of Scotland).<br /> The Free Church was faced with the huge task of providing churches, manses, schools and ministers for all its congregations.<br /> <br /> This map is from the book 'Annals of the Disruption; with extracts from the narratives of Ministers who left the Scottish Establishment in 1843', by Rev Thomas Brown (1893)