Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Old Stone Bridge, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_273369_011
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
CREATOR
Pierre Delavault
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31770
KEYWORDS
drawings
visual art
bridges
castles
rivers
The Old Stone Bridge, Inverness

This drawing of the old stone bridge across the River Ness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).

The description which accompanies this image explains that a stone bridge was built in 1685 to replace the wooden one which had fallen twenty years previously. Some of the stones used came from Cromwell's Fort. The new bridge had seven arches, between two of which a vault was constructed to serve as a prison. This bridge was swept away by floods in 1849.

Mention is also made of the original 'Castle Tolmie', the last house on the north side of Bridge Street. It was demolished in 1852 to make room for the approach to the new suspension bridge.

The Castle itself on Castle Hill is also highlighted. The original building was erected in 1834 and a jail extension was added in 1846. In 1967 Eveline Barron wrote of it: 'The Castle is now the Sheriff Court-house and the former jail contains the headquarters of the County Police; the County Hall, wherein the County Council meets; and the headquarters of the County Library.'

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Old Stone Bridge, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

drawings; visual art; bridges; castles; rivers

Highland Libraries

Old Inverness by Pierre Delavault (1903)

This drawing of the old stone bridge across the River Ness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903). <br /> <br /> The description which accompanies this image explains that a stone bridge was built in 1685 to replace the wooden one which had fallen twenty years previously. Some of the stones used came from Cromwell's Fort. The new bridge had seven arches, between two of which a vault was constructed to serve as a prison. This bridge was swept away by floods in 1849.<br /> <br /> Mention is also made of the original 'Castle Tolmie', the last house on the north side of Bridge Street. It was demolished in 1852 to make room for the approach to the new suspension bridge. <br /> <br /> The Castle itself on Castle Hill is also highlighted. The original building was erected in 1834 and a jail extension was added in 1846. In 1967 Eveline Barron wrote of it: 'The Castle is now the Sheriff Court-house and the former jail contains the headquarters of the County Police; the County Hall, wherein the County Council meets; and the headquarters of the County Library.'