Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Old Town Hall, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_273369_023
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
CREATOR
Pierre Delavault
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31774
KEYWORDS
drawings
visual art
town halls
town houses
municipal buildings
The Old Town Hall, Inverness

This drawing of the Old Town Hall in Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).

The description which accompanies this image records that the Old Town Hall was erected in 1709 and taken down in 1878 to make way for a new one. The illustration shows it in its latter years. The ground floor was used as a public reading room; the middle floor contained the Council Chamber; and the top floor was 'appropriated to the Guildry'.

Attention is drawn to the right-hand corner of the building, which was, in fact, a distinct property, erected as a town house for the Forbeses of Culloden. It was later converted into a hotel and was used by the Duke of Cumberland after the Battle of Culloden. The new Town Hall was built on the same site, including that of the old hotel, and was opened by the then Duke of Edinburgh in 1882.

In 1967, at the time of publication of 'Old Inverness', there were suggestions that the administrative departments of the town should be moved across the river to Eden Court, where it was proposed to build a community centre with conference and concert halls. It was hoped, however, to retain the Council Chamber for Council meetings, bearing in mind that this Chamber was the only place outside London to have accommodated a Cabinet meeting: that on 7 September 1921 when Prime Minister Lloyd George was on holiday in the Highlands and the 'Irish Question' demanded immediate attention.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Old Town Hall, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

drawings; visual art; town halls; town houses; municipal buildings

Highland Libraries

Old Inverness by Pierre Delavault (1903)

This drawing of the Old Town Hall in Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).<br /> <br /> The description which accompanies this image records that the Old Town Hall was erected in 1709 and taken down in 1878 to make way for a new one. The illustration shows it in its latter years. The ground floor was used as a public reading room; the middle floor contained the Council Chamber; and the top floor was 'appropriated to the Guildry'. <br /> <br /> Attention is drawn to the right-hand corner of the building, which was, in fact, a distinct property, erected as a town house for the Forbeses of Culloden. It was later converted into a hotel and was used by the Duke of Cumberland after the Battle of Culloden. The new Town Hall was built on the same site, including that of the old hotel, and was opened by the then Duke of Edinburgh in 1882. <br /> <br /> In 1967, at the time of publication of 'Old Inverness', there were suggestions that the administrative departments of the town should be moved across the river to Eden Court, where it was proposed to build a community centre with conference and concert halls. It was hoped, however, to retain the Council Chamber for Council meetings, bearing in mind that this Chamber was the only place outside London to have accommodated a Cabinet meeting: that on 7 September 1921 when Prime Minister Lloyd George was on holiday in the Highlands and the 'Irish Question' demanded immediate attention.