Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
A Bit of High Street, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_273369_026
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
CREATOR
Pierre Delavault
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31775
KEYWORDS
drawings
visual art
streets
buildings
A Bit of High Street, Inverness

This drawing of a small section of the High Street in Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).

The description which accompanies this image begins by explaining that the High Street has also been known as the 'front' or 'east' Vennel of Inverness, in contradistinction to the Back Vennel (Baron Taylor's Street). Originally hilly, the street was levelled at some stage, with the result that the old shops required a step or two down to them.

The old house depicted is the building more recently occupied by John Menzies & Co, and later WH Smith. In earlier days it was occupied by a medical doctor, and then by a wine merchant and grocer. At one stage, it was in the hands of William Fraser, a wine merchant and father of Hugh Miller's wife, and was later occupied by Bailie Dallas. There followed a succession of tenants until in the 1880s the premises were occupied by Messrs Donald and Wm. Mackay, booksellers, stationers and printers. The property was subsequently bought by Mr William Mackay, whose son Donald sold it to John Menzies & Co in 1934.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A Bit of High Street, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

drawings; visual art; streets; buildings

Highland Libraries

Old Inverness by Pierre Delavault (1903)

This drawing of a small section of the High Street in Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).<br /> <br /> The description which accompanies this image begins by explaining that the High Street has also been known as the 'front' or 'east' Vennel of Inverness, in contradistinction to the Back Vennel (Baron Taylor's Street). Originally hilly, the street was levelled at some stage, with the result that the old shops required a step or two down to them. <br /> <br /> The old house depicted is the building more recently occupied by John Menzies & Co, and later WH Smith. In earlier days it was occupied by a medical doctor, and then by a wine merchant and grocer. At one stage, it was in the hands of William Fraser, a wine merchant and father of Hugh Miller's wife, and was later occupied by Bailie Dallas. There followed a succession of tenants until in the 1880s the premises were occupied by Messrs Donald and Wm. Mackay, booksellers, stationers and printers. The property was subsequently bought by Mr William Mackay, whose son Donald sold it to John Menzies & Co in 1934.