Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Post Office
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_273369_029
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
CREATOR
Pierre Delavault
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31776
KEYWORDS
drawings
visual art
post offices
buildings
Inverness Post Office

This drawing of the Post Office building at the corner of Church Street and Bank Lane in Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (1903).

The description which accompanies this image makes reference to Mr A Penrose Hay, a former postmaster of Inverness, who published a pamphlet in 1885 entitled 'Post Office Recollections'. In this pamphlet he stated: 'In and prior to the year 1790, the head Post Office of the town was situated at what is now No. 32 Castle Street ... As there was no coach beyond Inverness, neither was there any bridge, the mails to and from Dingwall, Caithness and Skye, were conveyed on a pony ... This system continued till a three-horse coach was established in 1821 to Tain.'

About 1810, the Inverness Post Office was transferred to the Exchange and in 1820, it moved again to the corner of Church Street and Bank Lane, which is the situation depicted in the illustration. From there it moved in 1841 to Baron Taylor's Lane, then to premises on the High Street and from there in 1890 to Queensgate, where purpose-built premises were erected. These were demolished in 1966-67 to make way for the new Post Office.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Post Office

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

drawings; visual art; post offices; buildings

Highland Libraries

Old Inverness by Pierre Delavault (1903)

This drawing of the Post Office building at the corner of Church Street and Bank Lane in Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (1903).<br /> <br /> The description which accompanies this image makes reference to Mr A Penrose Hay, a former postmaster of Inverness, who published a pamphlet in 1885 entitled 'Post Office Recollections'. In this pamphlet he stated: 'In and prior to the year 1790, the head Post Office of the town was situated at what is now No. 32 Castle Street ... As there was no coach beyond Inverness, neither was there any bridge, the mails to and from Dingwall, Caithness and Skye, were conveyed on a pony ... This system continued till a three-horse coach was established in 1821 to Tain.'<br /> <br /> About 1810, the Inverness Post Office was transferred to the Exchange and in 1820, it moved again to the corner of Church Street and Bank Lane, which is the situation depicted in the illustration. From there it moved in 1841 to Baron Taylor's Lane, then to premises on the High Street and from there in 1890 to Queensgate, where purpose-built premises were erected. These were demolished in 1966-67 to make way for the new Post Office.