Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunbar's Hospital, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_273369_038
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
CREATOR
Pierre Delavault
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31779
KEYWORDS
drawings
visual art
alms houses
poor houses
Dunbar's Hospital, Inverness

This drawing of Dunbar's Hospital on Church Street in Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).

The description which accompanies this image notes that Dunbar's Hospital is one of the oldest buildings in Inverness, dating as it does from 1668. It was built and endowed as a charity hospital by Provost Alexander Dunbar. Over the years, it has been used for many purposes, including as a poor-house, as a weigh-house and as a grammar school. At one time it was occupied by two schools, for, in addition to the Grammar School, in 1727 the third storey came into use as the Raining School, money having been given for the purpose by John Raining, a Norwich merchant. Brief details are provided of the history of the Raining School, the Grammar School and the Inverness Royal Academy.

In the 18th century, Dunbar's Hospital housed a library and was used as a store for items as diverse as lint and the gallows. A succession of varied tenants followed until, in 1963, the Town Council opened the ground floor as a day care centre for the elderly.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunbar's Hospital, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

drawings; visual art; alms houses; poor houses

Highland Libraries

Old Inverness by Pierre Delavault (1903)

This drawing of Dunbar's Hospital on Church Street in Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).<br /> <br /> The description which accompanies this image notes that Dunbar's Hospital is one of the oldest buildings in Inverness, dating as it does from 1668. It was built and endowed as a charity hospital by Provost Alexander Dunbar. Over the years, it has been used for many purposes, including as a poor-house, as a weigh-house and as a grammar school. At one time it was occupied by two schools, for, in addition to the Grammar School, in 1727 the third storey came into use as the Raining School, money having been given for the purpose by John Raining, a Norwich merchant. Brief details are provided of the history of the Raining School, the Grammar School and the Inverness Royal Academy. <br /> <br /> In the 18th century, Dunbar's Hospital housed a library and was used as a store for items as diverse as lint and the gallows. A succession of varied tenants followed until, in 1963, the Town Council opened the ground floor as a day care centre for the elderly.