Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Friar's Street, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_273369_041
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
CREATOR
Pierre Delavault
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31780
KEYWORDS
drawings
visual art
streets
buildings
churches
Friar's Street, Inverness

This drawing of Friars' Street in Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (1903).

The text on the previous page of the book describes the view looking south along Friars' Street, with the entrance to the Greyfriars Churchyard on the left and the Old High church tower in the background. The ground on which the Old High Church stands was in pre-Reformation times called St Michael's Hill. The belief is expressed that the church tower is the oldest building in Inverness and that it is part of the Old Parish Church.

In support of this argument, further details are given about nearby churches. The Gaelic Church (later known as St Mary's and then Greyfriars Free) was built in 1706 and rebuilt in 1790. The present Old High Church dates from 1770. It is believed that these two churches were built on the site of the ancient Parish Church of St Mary, of which the church tower may have originally formed part, although its upper portion has received more recent additions.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Friar's Street, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

drawings; visual art; streets; buildings; churches

Highland Libraries

Old Inverness by Pierre Delavault (1903)

This drawing of Friars' Street in Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (1903).<br /> <br /> The text on the previous page of the book describes the view looking south along Friars' Street, with the entrance to the Greyfriars Churchyard on the left and the Old High church tower in the background. The ground on which the Old High Church stands was in pre-Reformation times called St Michael's Hill. The belief is expressed that the church tower is the oldest building in Inverness and that it is part of the Old Parish Church. <br /> <br /> In support of this argument, further details are given about nearby churches. The Gaelic Church (later known as St Mary's and then Greyfriars Free) was built in 1706 and rebuilt in 1790. The present Old High Church dates from 1770. It is believed that these two churches were built on the site of the ancient Parish Church of St Mary, of which the church tower may have originally formed part, although its upper portion has received more recent additions.