Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Queensgate, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_273369_053
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
CREATOR
Pierre Delavault
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31784
KEYWORDS
drawings
visual art
streets
buildings
churches
Queensgate, Inverness

This drawing of Queensgate in Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).

In the description which accompanies this image, it is observed that a bridle-path used to pass along what is now Queensgate from the direction of the Loch Gorm (beside Millburn Road) to the river. It is believed that Queen Mary rode along this path when she visited Inverness, hence the name 'Queensgate'. Most of the present street was built in the 1890s. For many years prior to that, the site had been occupied by a garden containing a very fine pear tree, the fruit of which provided seasonal refreshment to the children of the local schools.

The building in the centre background is referred to as a bank, while the spire is that of St Columba High Church of Scotland, which was opened in 1852 as the English Free Church, and soon became known as the Free High. After the Union between the Free and United Presbyterian Churches in 1900, it became known as the United Free High, before taking its present name in 1929 after the Union between the United Free and Established Churches.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Queensgate, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

drawings; visual art; streets; buildings; churches

Highland Libraries

Old Inverness by Pierre Delavault (1903)

This drawing of Queensgate in Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).<br /> <br /> In the description which accompanies this image, it is observed that a bridle-path used to pass along what is now Queensgate from the direction of the Loch Gorm (beside Millburn Road) to the river. It is believed that Queen Mary rode along this path when she visited Inverness, hence the name 'Queensgate'. Most of the present street was built in the 1890s. For many years prior to that, the site had been occupied by a garden containing a very fine pear tree, the fruit of which provided seasonal refreshment to the children of the local schools. <br /> <br /> The building in the centre background is referred to as a bank, while the spire is that of St Columba High Church of Scotland, which was opened in 1852 as the English Free Church, and soon became known as the Free High. After the Union between the Free and United Presbyterian Churches in 1900, it became known as the United Free High, before taking its present name in 1929 after the Union between the United Free and Established Churches.