Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cottages on the Crown, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_273369_059
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
CREATOR
Pierre Delavault
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31786
KEYWORDS
drawings
visual art
houses
Cottages on the Crown, Inverness

This drawing of some cottages in the Crown area of Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).

The description which accompanies this image records that from 1794, the site on which the cottages stand was owned by a variety of farmers and tradesmen, until it was acquired in 1897 by the trustees of the Crown Free Church who erected a church building there. Since 1929, this has been known as Crown Church of Scotland.

Above the cottages can be seen a tower which belonged to the High School. The original school serving the Crown area was opened by the Free Church in Ardconnel Street in 1847 but when the school was moved to the building with the tower about 40 years later, the Free Church handed it over to the Board of Education. In 1937 the High School transferred its secondary department to Montague Row and the building became Crown Primary School.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cottages on the Crown, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

drawings; visual art; houses

Highland Libraries

Old Inverness by Pierre Delavault (1903)

This drawing of some cottages in the Crown area of Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).<br /> <br /> The description which accompanies this image records that from 1794, the site on which the cottages stand was owned by a variety of farmers and tradesmen, until it was acquired in 1897 by the trustees of the Crown Free Church who erected a church building there. Since 1929, this has been known as Crown Church of Scotland. <br /> <br /> Above the cottages can be seen a tower which belonged to the High School. The original school serving the Crown area was opened by the Free Church in Ardconnel Street in 1847 but when the school was moved to the building with the tower about 40 years later, the Free Church handed it over to the Board of Education. In 1937 the High School transferred its secondary department to Montague Row and the building became Crown Primary School.