Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Clock Tower of Cromwell's Tower, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_273369_062
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
CREATOR
Pierre Delavault
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31787
KEYWORDS
drawings
visual art
The Clock Tower of Cromwell's Tower, Inverness

This drawing of the Clock Tower of Cromwell's Fort in Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).

The description which accompanies this image records that the tower depicted formed part of a Fort or Citadel built between 1652 and 1657 (during Cromwell's administration) at a cost of £80,000. The Citadel was capable of accommodating about 1000 men. In 1661, after the Restoration, the Citadel was demolished and the stones used for other buildings erected in the town, including the stone bridge built over the River Ness in 1685. All that remains of the Citadel is the bottom part of the clock tower.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Clock Tower of Cromwell's Tower, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

drawings; visual art

Highland Libraries

Old Inverness by Pierre Delavault (1903)

This drawing of the Clock Tower of Cromwell's Fort in Inverness is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).<br /> <br /> The description which accompanies this image records that the tower depicted formed part of a Fort or Citadel built between 1652 and 1657 (during Cromwell's administration) at a cost of £80,000. The Citadel was capable of accommodating about 1000 men. In 1661, after the Restoration, the Citadel was demolished and the stones used for other buildings erected in the town, including the stone bridge built over the River Ness in 1685. All that remains of the Citadel is the bottom part of the clock tower.