Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Castle, Inverness, 1728-1746
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_273369_068
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
CREATOR
Pierre Delavault
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31789
KEYWORDS
drawings
visual art
castles
The Castle, Inverness, 1728-1746

This drawing of Inverness Castle as it appeared in the period 1728-1746 is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).

The description which accompanies this image notes that the Castle is depicted after it had been repaired and extended by General Wade in 1728. When the repairs were complete, it was known as Fort George. It is noted that a royal castle stood on Castle Hill from the 12th century until Prince Charlie blew it up in 1746. After this time it was not restored and Fort George at Ardersier was erected in its place.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Castle, Inverness, 1728-1746

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

drawings; visual art; castles

Highland Libraries

Old Inverness by Pierre Delavault (1903)

This drawing of Inverness Castle as it appeared in the period 1728-1746 is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).<br /> <br /> The description which accompanies this image notes that the Castle is depicted after it had been repaired and extended by General Wade in 1728. When the repairs were complete, it was known as Fort George. It is noted that a royal castle stood on Castle Hill from the 12th century until Prince Charlie blew it up in 1746. After this time it was not restored and Fort George at Ardersier was erected in its place.