Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness from Godsman's Walk
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_273369_071
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1823
PERIOD
1820s
CREATOR
J Clark
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31790
KEYWORDS
drawings
visual art
Inverness from Godsman's Walk

The illustration by J Clark of a view of Inverness from Godsman's Walk is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).

The description which accompanies this image draws attention to the Northern Infirmary which was erected in 1804. It gained the title 'Royal' in 1930 after it had been re-opened, following extensive reconstruction, by the Duke of York, later King George VI.

Godsman's Walk was a public footpath running along the ridge of the hill from Culduthel Road, near its junction with Mayfield Road, to Aultnaskiach. A few notes are given on the history of the Walk which was named after a Captain Godsman, who worked as factor for the Duke of Gordon in the late 18th century. For centuries the footpath had been a right of way for the people of Inverness but, when Godsman was succeeded by a Dr Robertson, the walk was closed. The question of the ownership and maintenance of Godsman's Walk was in dispute in 1855 and remained so in 1967 when this volume was published.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness from Godsman's Walk

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1820s

drawings; visual art

Highland Libraries

Old Inverness by Pierre Delavault (1903)

The illustration by J Clark of a view of Inverness from Godsman's Walk is taken from 'Old Inverness' by Pierre Delavault (published in 1903).<br /> <br /> The description which accompanies this image draws attention to the Northern Infirmary which was erected in 1804. It gained the title 'Royal' in 1930 after it had been re-opened, following extensive reconstruction, by the Duke of York, later King George VI. <br /> <br /> Godsman's Walk was a public footpath running along the ridge of the hill from Culduthel Road, near its junction with Mayfield Road, to Aultnaskiach. A few notes are given on the history of the Walk which was named after a Captain Godsman, who worked as factor for the Duke of Gordon in the late 18th century. For centuries the footpath had been a right of way for the people of Inverness but, when Godsman was succeeded by a Dr Robertson, the walk was closed. The question of the ownership and maintenance of Godsman's Walk was in dispute in 1855 and remained so in 1967 when this volume was published.