Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Caithness, 1925 - Wick
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CAITHNESS 1925-26_56001_023
PLACENAME
Wick
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Herbert Sinclair
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31858
KEYWORDS
towns
rivers
bridges
Caithness, 1925 - Wick

This is a page from a book of photographs of Caithness from 1925. It shows a photograph of Bridge Street, Wick taken from the Commercial Hotel end window. The photographer comments on the people waiting for a Gymkhana procession and the Merry-Go-Rounds in the background. He mentions that in years past part of the famous Pinder-Ord circus used to visit Wick.

The area where the merry-go-rounds were situated is referred to in the photograph as the 'Bleaching Green.' A bleaching green was a grassy area usually near a wash house where the linen would be laid out in the sun to dry and bleach. In this photograph clothing can still be seen hanging out in the sun. This area in Wick is now home to a supermarket car park and riverside walk.

A Royal Burgh from 1589, the town of Wick has even more ancient origins, as shown by its name which comes from the Norse 'Vic', the word for bay. It lies on the north east coast of Scotland 19 miles south of John O'Groats.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Caithness, 1925 - Wick

CAITHNESS: Wick

1920s

towns; rivers; bridges

Highland Libraries

Caithness 1925

This is a page from a book of photographs of Caithness from 1925. It shows a photograph of Bridge Street, Wick taken from the Commercial Hotel end window. The photographer comments on the people waiting for a Gymkhana procession and the Merry-Go-Rounds in the background. He mentions that in years past part of the famous Pinder-Ord circus used to visit Wick.<br /> <br /> The area where the merry-go-rounds were situated is referred to in the photograph as the 'Bleaching Green.' A bleaching green was a grassy area usually near a wash house where the linen would be laid out in the sun to dry and bleach. In this photograph clothing can still be seen hanging out in the sun. This area in Wick is now home to a supermarket car park and riverside walk.<br /> <br /> A Royal Burgh from 1589, the town of Wick has even more ancient origins, as shown by its name which comes from the Norse 'Vic', the word for bay. It lies on the north east coast of Scotland 19 miles south of John O'Groats.