Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Caithness, 1925 - Noss
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CAITHNESS 1925-26_56001_046a
PLACENAME
Wick
DISTRICT
Caithness - Eastern
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Herbert Sinclair
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31871
KEYWORDS
cliffs
coasts
stacks
Caithness, 1925 - Noss

This is a page from a book of photographs of Caithness from 1925. It shows a photograph of an area of coast south of Noss Head, near Wick, Caithness. The photographer comments that the place the photograph is taken from is called 'Skyoll' he and his friends used to fish there for 'peltag' (medium-size coalfish.)

Noss Head is just north of Wick. The name comes from the Old Norse 'Snos' - a nose or nose-shaped headland.

A Royal Burgh from 1589, the town of Wick has even more ancient origins, as shown by its name which comes from the Norse 'Vic', the word for bay. It lies on the north east coast of Scotland 19 miles south of John O'Groats.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Caithness, 1925 - Noss

CAITHNESS: Wick

1920s

cliffs; coasts; stacks

Highland Libraries

Caithness 1925

This is a page from a book of photographs of Caithness from 1925. It shows a photograph of an area of coast south of Noss Head, near Wick, Caithness. The photographer comments that the place the photograph is taken from is called 'Skyoll' he and his friends used to fish there for 'peltag' (medium-size coalfish.)<br /> <br /> Noss Head is just north of Wick. The name comes from the Old Norse 'Snos' - a nose or nose-shaped headland.<br /> <br /> A Royal Burgh from 1589, the town of Wick has even more ancient origins, as shown by its name which comes from the Norse 'Vic', the word for bay. It lies on the north east coast of Scotland 19 miles south of John O'Groats.