Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Caithness, 1925 - Castletown
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CAITHNESS 1925-26_56001_062
PLACENAME
Castletown
DISTRICT
Caithness - Central
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Olrig
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Herbert Sinclair
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31875
KEYWORDS
villages
towns
streets
Caithness, 1925 - Castletown

'This is a page from a book of photographs of Caithness from 1925. It shows a photograph of Castletown village. The village of Castletown lies on the south side of Dunnet Bay, five miles east of Thurso.

It was laid out as a planned settlement by James Traill of Rattar, Sheriff of Caithness, and was largely complete by 1825. Traill lived in Castlehill House, which burned down in 1967, but whose site lay between the village and the harbour.

Castletown was created to provide accommodation for the workers in the flagstone quarries Traill established in the area to commercially exploit a material long used for local buildings and field boundaries. A harbour was built, from flags, in 1820 specifically to allow the processing and shipping of flags. At its height flagstones from Castletown were being used throughout the UK and as far afield as South Africa and Argentina.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Caithness, 1925 - Castletown

CAITHNESS: Olrig

1920s

villages; towns; streets

Highland Libraries

Caithness 1925

'This is a page from a book of photographs of Caithness from 1925. It shows a photograph of Castletown village. The village of Castletown lies on the south side of Dunnet Bay, five miles east of Thurso. <br /> <br /> It was laid out as a planned settlement by James Traill of Rattar, Sheriff of Caithness, and was largely complete by 1825. Traill lived in Castlehill House, which burned down in 1967, but whose site lay between the village and the harbour. <br /> <br /> Castletown was created to provide accommodation for the workers in the flagstone quarries Traill established in the area to commercially exploit a material long used for local buildings and field boundaries. A harbour was built, from flags, in 1820 specifically to allow the processing and shipping of flags. At its height flagstones from Castletown were being used throughout the UK and as far afield as South Africa and Argentina.