Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Beauly Square, looking west
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0007
PLACENAME
Beauly
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
DATE OF IMAGE
PERIOD
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31890
KEYWORDS
postcards
monuments
Lovat Scouts
villages
monks
Mary Queen of Scots
Beauly Square, looking west

This postcard from the early 20th century shows Beauly Square with the memorial to the Lovat Scouts in the middle.

Beauly lies 12 miles west of Inverness, at the mouth of the River Beauly. The square was laid out in the 1840s by Baron Lovat. The village grew up around Beauly Priory, founded in 1320 by the Valliscaulian order of monks from Burgundy in France, who called it "beau lieu", French for beautiful place. Popular belief is that the name came from a comment from Mary Queen of Scots during her visit in 1564.

The memorial to the Lovat Scouts was unveiled on Wednesday 21st December 1905 by the Mackintosh of Mackintosh, the Lord-Lieutenant of the county. The monument is 50 feet high and has 4 panels. One panel has the inscription "Erected by the Lovat tenantry and feuars of the Aird and Fort Augustus districts to commemorate the raising of the Lovat Scouts for service in South Africa by Simon Joseph, 18th Lord Lovat, C.V.O., C.B., D.S.O., who desired to show the martial spirit of their forefathers still animates the Highlanders of today, and whose confidence was justified by the success in the field of the gallant corps whose enterprise was due to his loyalty and patriotism.- A.D. 1905."

Another panel bears names of the officers and the three contingents of the Lovat Scouts, and a third panel lists the 23 officers, non-commissioned officers and men who died either in action or from wounds or disease. Depicted on the fourth panel, in bronze relief, is a scout standing by his horse, an officer crouched beside him spies out the land.

The Lovat Scouts distinguished themselves in South Africa and in both World Wars

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Beauly Square, looking west

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

postcards; monuments; Lovat Scouts; villages; monks; Mary Queen of Scots;

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from the early 20th century shows Beauly Square with the memorial to the Lovat Scouts in the middle.<br /> <br /> Beauly lies 12 miles west of Inverness, at the mouth of the River Beauly. The square was laid out in the 1840s by Baron Lovat. The village grew up around Beauly Priory, founded in 1320 by the Valliscaulian order of monks from Burgundy in France, who called it "beau lieu", French for beautiful place. Popular belief is that the name came from a comment from Mary Queen of Scots during her visit in 1564.<br /> <br /> The memorial to the Lovat Scouts was unveiled on Wednesday 21st December 1905 by the Mackintosh of Mackintosh, the Lord-Lieutenant of the county. The monument is 50 feet high and has 4 panels. One panel has the inscription "Erected by the Lovat tenantry and feuars of the Aird and Fort Augustus districts to commemorate the raising of the Lovat Scouts for service in South Africa by Simon Joseph, 18th Lord Lovat, C.V.O., C.B., D.S.O., who desired to show the martial spirit of their forefathers still animates the Highlanders of today, and whose confidence was justified by the success in the field of the gallant corps whose enterprise was due to his loyalty and patriotism.- A.D. 1905."<br /> <br /> Another panel bears names of the officers and the three contingents of the Lovat Scouts, and a third panel lists the 23 officers, non-commissioned officers and men who died either in action or from wounds or disease. Depicted on the fourth panel, in bronze relief, is a scout standing by his horse, an officer crouched beside him spies out the land. <br /> <br /> The Lovat Scouts distinguished themselves in South Africa and in both World Wars