Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Duntulm Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0019_AT
PLACENAME
Duntulm
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmuir
DATE OF IMAGE
2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
31903
KEYWORDS
postcards
castles
Vikings
battles
Duntulm Castle

Duntulm Castle is situated on the Isle of Skye, near the north-west tip of the Trotternish peninsula and 26 miles north of Portree. The site was originally an Iron Age broch held by Norse invaders and was known as "Dun Dhaibhidh" (David's Fort) after a Viking chief who resided there. It was abandoned after the Norse were defeated at Largs.

In the late 15th/early 16th centuries, the Castle was repaired by Donald Gorm, Master of the Isles and became a stronghold of the MacDonalds. James V is recorded as being very impressed by the Castle and its situation on a visit to Skye in 1540.

The castle changed hands several times between the MacLeods and MacDonalds, Skye's two most prominent clans, until the decisive battle of Trotternish after which the MacDonald's retained possession of it until 1730 when it was abandoned in favour of a new and more comfortable house at Monkstadt, five miles away. Some of its masonry was also removed and used in the construction of the new residence.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Duntulm Castle

INVERNESS: Kilmuir

2000s

postcards; castles; Vikings; battles

Andrew Taylor

Duntulm Castle is situated on the Isle of Skye, near the north-west tip of the Trotternish peninsula and 26 miles north of Portree. The site was originally an Iron Age broch held by Norse invaders and was known as "Dun Dhaibhidh" (David's Fort) after a Viking chief who resided there. It was abandoned after the Norse were defeated at Largs.<br /> <br /> In the late 15th/early 16th centuries, the Castle was repaired by Donald Gorm, Master of the Isles and became a stronghold of the MacDonalds. James V is recorded as being very impressed by the Castle and its situation on a visit to Skye in 1540.<br /> <br /> The castle changed hands several times between the MacLeods and MacDonalds, Skye's two most prominent clans, until the decisive battle of Trotternish after which the MacDonald's retained possession of it until 1730 when it was abandoned in favour of a new and more comfortable house at Monkstadt, five miles away. Some of its masonry was also removed and used in the construction of the new residence.