Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Monastery, Fort Augustus
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0027
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31910
KEYWORDS
postcards
monasteries
abbeys
schools
The Monastery, Fort Augustus

This postcard shows the Monastery, Fort Augustus.

The fort at Fort Augustus was purchased from the government by the 14th Lord Lovat in 1867 for use as a shooting lodge. His successor leased the buildings to the Monastic Order of Benedictines in the 1870s who began converting the buildings into an abbey, school and monastery. The original reconstruction and extension was designed by Joseph Hansom (of Hansom cab fame) with further buildings added by Peter Paul Pugin, Reginald Fairlie, Charles Gray and William Watt Allan

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Monastery, Fort Augustus

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1920s

postcards; monasteries; abbeys; schools

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the Monastery, Fort Augustus.<br /> <br /> The fort at Fort Augustus was purchased from the government by the 14th Lord Lovat in 1867 for use as a shooting lodge. His successor leased the buildings to the Monastic Order of Benedictines in the 1870s who began converting the buildings into an abbey, school and monastery. The original reconstruction and extension was designed by Joseph Hansom (of Hansom cab fame) with further buildings added by Peter Paul Pugin, Reginald Fairlie, Charles Gray and William Watt Allan