Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Imperial Hotel, Fort William
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0029
PLACENAME
Fort William
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmallie
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31912
KEYWORDS
postcards
hotels
forts
lochs
Imperial Hotel, Fort William

This postcard from the 1960s shows the Imperial Hotel, Fort William. It is situated in the town centre with fine views of Loch Linnhie.

A town in Lochaber was first mooted by the Parliament of Scotland in 1597 but it wasn't until the time of Cromwell's Commonwealth that General Monk built a fortress here in 1654-55. Originally called Inverlochy 2000 troops were garrisoned here along with a number of workmen, servants, wives and children who settled in a village near to the fort. There numbers were gradually increased, according to the Memoirs of Sir Ewen Cameron of Locheill, "by the accession of others in desperat circumstances, whom the hopes of gain, and the security of living safe from the prosecutions of their defrauded creditors, allured from all parts of the kingdom" and from among such "needy desparadoes" the Governor had no difficulty recruiting spies.

After the Restoration General Mackay built a second fort which he called Fort William, after the King. The village which originally was called Gordonsburgh, having being built on land belonging to the Gordons was renamed Maryburgh, after the King's consort. Destroyed during the 1745 to make defending the Fort easier it was then rebuilt. When the Gordon estates were sold to Sir Duncan Cameron he attempted to change the name to Ducansburgh without success. Local people have always called it simply "An Gearasdan" meaning The Fort and so it became known as Fort William.

In 1884 the War Office finally sold the Fort to Alexander Campbell of Monzie. In 1889 his wife was compelled by Act of Parliament to sell the Fort to make way for the planned West Highland Railway.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Imperial Hotel, Fort William

INVERNESS: Kilmallie

1960s

postcards; hotels; forts; lochs

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from the 1960s shows the Imperial Hotel, Fort William. It is situated in the town centre with fine views of Loch Linnhie.<br /> <br /> A town in Lochaber was first mooted by the Parliament of Scotland in 1597 but it wasn't until the time of Cromwell's Commonwealth that General Monk built a fortress here in 1654-55. Originally called Inverlochy 2000 troops were garrisoned here along with a number of workmen, servants, wives and children who settled in a village near to the fort. There numbers were gradually increased, according to the Memoirs of Sir Ewen Cameron of Locheill, "by the accession of others in desperat circumstances, whom the hopes of gain, and the security of living safe from the prosecutions of their defrauded creditors, allured from all parts of the kingdom" and from among such "needy desparadoes" the Governor had no difficulty recruiting spies.<br /> <br /> After the Restoration General Mackay built a second fort which he called Fort William, after the King. The village which originally was called Gordonsburgh, having being built on land belonging to the Gordons was renamed Maryburgh, after the King's consort. Destroyed during the 1745 to make defending the Fort easier it was then rebuilt. When the Gordon estates were sold to Sir Duncan Cameron he attempted to change the name to Ducansburgh without success. Local people have always called it simply "An Gearasdan" meaning The Fort and so it became known as Fort William.<br /> <br /> In 1884 the War Office finally sold the Fort to Alexander Campbell of Monzie. In 1889 his wife was compelled by Act of Parliament to sell the Fort to make way for the planned West Highland Railway.