Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The McKellaig Cairn, Glenfinnan
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0033
PLACENAME
Glenfinnan
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31916
KEYWORDS
postcards, monuments, inns
The McKellaig Cairn, Glenfinnan

This postcard shows the McKellaig Cairn, Glenfinnan

The inscription reads "In memory of Donald MacKellaig, Stage House Inn, 28th November 1910. Sith dhia Dha."

Donald MacKellaig took over the Stage House Inn, between Fort William and Arisaig, in 1900 and ran it until his death in 1910. Mr MacKellaig was a respected member of the local community. He was buried on Eilean Fhionnain, a traditional burying ground in Loch Shiel.

The Stage House Inn, a staging post dating back to 1658 and a well known fishing hotel, remained in the Mackellaig family until 1938. Still privately owned it is now called the Prince's House Hotel.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The McKellaig Cairn, Glenfinnan

INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart

1900s

postcards, monuments, inns

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the McKellaig Cairn, Glenfinnan<br /> <br /> The inscription reads "In memory of Donald MacKellaig, Stage House Inn, 28th November 1910. Sith dhia Dha."<br /> <br /> Donald MacKellaig took over the Stage House Inn, between Fort William and Arisaig, in 1900 and ran it until his death in 1910. Mr MacKellaig was a respected member of the local community. He was buried on Eilean Fhionnain, a traditional burying ground in Loch Shiel. <br /> <br /> The Stage House Inn, a staging post dating back to 1658 and a well known fishing hotel, remained in the Mackellaig family until 1938. Still privately owned it is now called the Prince's House Hotel.