Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Invergarry House (now Glengarry Castle Hotel)
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0039
PLACENAME
Invergarry
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31922
KEYWORDS
postcards
mansions
hotels
castles
battles
Invergarry House (now Glengarry Castle Hotel)

This postcard shows Invergarry House, now called the Glengarry Castle Hotel, situated on the shore of Loch Oich.

Built between 1866 and 1869 for the landowner and politician Edward Ellice (1810 - 1880) this mansion house was designed by the architect David Bryce. A stable block designed by J. Macvicar Anderson was added in 1875 -76.

In the grounds, standing on the 'Rock of the Raven', is Invergarry Castle, a ruined 17th century tower house, the seat of the MacDonnells of Glengarry, a branch of Clan Donald, known as Clan Ranald of Knoydart and Glengarry. Invergarry Castle was burnt and defaced by General Monk in 1654, restored by mason Robert Nicholson c.1670 but damaged again and repaired after the 1715 and 1745 uprisings. It provided shelter for Bonnie Prince Charlie after the Battle of Culloden

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Invergarry House (now Glengarry Castle Hotel)

INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig

1900s

postcards; mansions; hotels; castles; battles

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Invergarry House, now called the Glengarry Castle Hotel, situated on the shore of Loch Oich.<br /> <br /> Built between 1866 and 1869 for the landowner and politician Edward Ellice (1810 - 1880) this mansion house was designed by the architect David Bryce. A stable block designed by J. Macvicar Anderson was added in 1875 -76.<br /> <br /> In the grounds, standing on the 'Rock of the Raven', is Invergarry Castle, a ruined 17th century tower house, the seat of the MacDonnells of Glengarry, a branch of Clan Donald, known as Clan Ranald of Knoydart and Glengarry. Invergarry Castle was burnt and defaced by General Monk in 1654, restored by mason Robert Nicholson c.1670 but damaged again and repaired after the 1715 and 1745 uprisings. It provided shelter for Bonnie Prince Charlie after the Battle of Culloden