Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Castle on Loch an Eilean
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0044
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31927
KEYWORDS
postcards
castles
ruins
ruined castles
Castle on Loch an Eilean

This postcard from the early 20th century shows the ruined castle situated on the island in the beautiful, secluded Loch an Eilean (meaning loch of the island) set in the ancient pine forest of the Rothiemurchus Estate.

Built in the 14th century, probably by Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch, it consists of a keep, hall, other buildings and a small courtyard. The castle passed in to the hands of the Mackintoshes, then the Gordons and then the Grants in 1567. It was attacked by the Jacobites after the defeat at Cromdale in 1690 and was last occupied in 1715 when Mackintosh of Balnespick was held there to prevent him opposing the Jacobites. At one time the castle was connected to the shore by a causeway.

Ospreys have been known to nest on the castle and to fish in the loch. There is a nature trail round the loch, part of which follows Rathad nam Mearlach (the thieves road) along which cattle, stolen from Morayshire, were driven to Lochaber.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Castle on Loch an Eilean

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

postcards; castles; ruins; ruined castles

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from the early 20th century shows the ruined castle situated on the island in the beautiful, secluded Loch an Eilean (meaning loch of the island) set in the ancient pine forest of the Rothiemurchus Estate. <br /> <br /> Built in the 14th century, probably by Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch, it consists of a keep, hall, other buildings and a small courtyard. The castle passed in to the hands of the Mackintoshes, then the Gordons and then the Grants in 1567. It was attacked by the Jacobites after the defeat at Cromdale in 1690 and was last occupied in 1715 when Mackintosh of Balnespick was held there to prevent him opposing the Jacobites. At one time the castle was connected to the shore by a causeway. <br /> <br /> Ospreys have been known to nest on the castle and to fish in the loch. There is a nature trail round the loch, part of which follows Rathad nam Mearlach (the thieves road) along which cattle, stolen from Morayshire, were driven to Lochaber.