Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Mallaig looking towards Skye
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0047
PLACENAME
Mallaig
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
DATE OF IMAGE
PERIOD
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31930
KEYWORDS
postcards
hotels
fishing
railways
ferries
Mallaig looking towards Skye

This postcard shows Mallaig looking towards the Isle of Skye.

The large building on the right is the Station Hotel built between 1898 and 1900. It was seriously damaged by fire in the 1920s and was rebuilt as the West Highland Hotel.

Situated on the northwest peninsula of Morar, looking across the Sound of Sleat to Skye, Mallaig in the 19th century was a small fishing and crofting village of black houses laid out by Lord Lovat at the time of the potato famine. He had a pier and salt store built and fishing became increasingly important. The railway opened in 1901 and Mallaig became not only a thriving harbour for fleets fishing in the rich waters of the Minch but also a busy port of call for steamers with an increasingly interested tourist trade.

Mallaig is still the main fishing port on the west coast between Oban and Ullapool although shellfish have replaced herring as the main catch. The West Highland Line ends here and ferries link the mainland to the islands

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Mallaig looking towards Skye

INVERNESS: Glenelg

postcards; hotels; fishing; railways; ferries

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Mallaig looking towards the Isle of Skye.<br /> <br /> The large building on the right is the Station Hotel built between 1898 and 1900. It was seriously damaged by fire in the 1920s and was rebuilt as the West Highland Hotel.<br /> <br /> Situated on the northwest peninsula of Morar, looking across the Sound of Sleat to Skye, Mallaig in the 19th century was a small fishing and crofting village of black houses laid out by Lord Lovat at the time of the potato famine. He had a pier and salt store built and fishing became increasingly important. The railway opened in 1901 and Mallaig became not only a thriving harbour for fleets fishing in the rich waters of the Minch but also a busy port of call for steamers with an increasingly interested tourist trade. <br /> <br /> Mallaig is still the main fishing port on the west coast between Oban and Ullapool although shellfish have replaced herring as the main catch. The West Highland Line ends here and ferries link the mainland to the islands