Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0063
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
DATE OF IMAGE
PERIOD
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31950
KEYWORDS
postcards
hotels
harbours
Portree, Isle of Skye

This postcard from the middle of the 20th century shows Portree, Isle of Skye

The houses of Beaumont Crescent line the front of the harbour, with the Royal Hotel on the hill above. The hotel was reconstructed in 1878, and again after a serious fire in the mid-20th century.

Originally called Kiltraglen the village was renamed Port-an-Righ or King's Port when King James V visited in 1540 seeking the support of the island clans. It quickly grew to become the main town on Skye.

The harbour was designed by the engineer Thomas Telford between 1818 and 1820

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

postcards; hotels; harbours

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from the middle of the 20th century shows Portree, Isle of Skye<br /> <br /> The houses of Beaumont Crescent line the front of the harbour, with the Royal Hotel on the hill above. The hotel was reconstructed in 1878, and again after a serious fire in the mid-20th century.<br /> <br /> Originally called Kiltraglen the village was renamed Port-an-Righ or King's Port when King James V visited in 1540 seeking the support of the island clans. It quickly grew to become the main town on Skye.<br /> <br /> The harbour was designed by the engineer Thomas Telford between 1818 and 1820