Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Skeabost House & Loch Snizort
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0064
PLACENAME
Skeabost
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Snizort
DATE OF IMAGE
PERIOD
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31951
KEYWORDS
postcards
houses
hotels
lochs
rivers
Skeabost House & Loch Snizort

This postcard from 1912 shows Skeabost House and Loch Snizort.

A cottage on the hill on the other side of the loch is marked with a cross. According to the message on the back it is called "Tote"

Skeabost House is situated on the River Snizort at the head of Loch Snizort, a sea loch on the north west coast of the Isle of Skye, 6 miles from Portree. Originally built by the Macdonalds in 1850 as a sporting lodge it was enlarged and finally completed in 1871 by the architect Alexander Ross. It has been a hotel for many years.

The River Snizort, the longest river on Skye, is popular with anglers. In 1539 after a battle between the Macleods and the Macdonalds a number of decapitated heads were seen floating down the river.

Mary Macpherson, the great Gaelic Poetess was born at Skeabost in 1821.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Skeabost House & Loch Snizort

INVERNESS: Snizort

postcards; houses; hotels; lochs; rivers

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from 1912 shows Skeabost House and Loch Snizort.<br /> <br /> A cottage on the hill on the other side of the loch is marked with a cross. According to the message on the back it is called "Tote"<br /> <br /> Skeabost House is situated on the River Snizort at the head of Loch Snizort, a sea loch on the north west coast of the Isle of Skye, 6 miles from Portree. Originally built by the Macdonalds in 1850 as a sporting lodge it was enlarged and finally completed in 1871 by the architect Alexander Ross. It has been a hotel for many years.<br /> <br /> The River Snizort, the longest river on Skye, is popular with anglers. In 1539 after a battle between the Macleods and the Macdonalds a number of decapitated heads were seen floating down the river.<br /> <br /> Mary Macpherson, the great Gaelic Poetess was born at Skeabost in 1821.