Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The High Street, Nairn
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0078
PLACENAME
Nairn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
NAIRN: Nairn
DATE OF IMAGE
1934
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31966
KEYWORDS
postcards
towns
statues
tolbooths
The High Street, Nairn

This postcard from 1934 shows the High Street, Nairn.

The statue on the left is of Doctor Grigor (1814 - 1886), doctor and provost, who bequeathed much of his wealth to the people of Nairn and was instrumental in Nairn gaining its reputation as a health resort. The statue was erected in 1890 at the junction of the High Street and Leopold Street but because of increasing traffic was moved in 1950 to the front of Viewfield House, which now houses Nairn Museum.

The villa behind now houses the Royal Bank of Scotland.

The building in the middle with the spire is Nairn Court House. Built in 1818, it was formerly the Tolbooth. A new steeple was added in 1860.

The Tolbooth had a small steeple and an outside stone staircase leading to the council chamber and behind it was a prison and a booth used by tradesmen on market day. Itinerant ministers used to preach from the staircase

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The High Street, Nairn

NAIRN: Nairn

1930s

postcards; towns; statues; tolbooths

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from 1934 shows the High Street, Nairn.<br /> <br /> The statue on the left is of Doctor Grigor (1814 - 1886), doctor and provost, who bequeathed much of his wealth to the people of Nairn and was instrumental in Nairn gaining its reputation as a health resort. The statue was erected in 1890 at the junction of the High Street and Leopold Street but because of increasing traffic was moved in 1950 to the front of Viewfield House, which now houses Nairn Museum.<br /> <br /> The villa behind now houses the Royal Bank of Scotland. <br /> <br /> The building in the middle with the spire is Nairn Court House. Built in 1818, it was formerly the Tolbooth. A new steeple was added in 1860.<br /> <br /> The Tolbooth had a small steeple and an outside stone staircase leading to the council chamber and behind it was a prison and a booth used by tradesmen on market day. Itinerant ministers used to preach from the staircase