Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree Harbour, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0082
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1960s; 1970s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31971
KEYWORDS
harbours
mountains
mountain
hills
ships
ship
boats
boat
postcards
Portree Harbour, Skye

This postcard shows Portree Harbour and pier, with a view of the Cuillin Hills in the background.

Portree pier was built by Thomas Telford in 1818-1820. The harbour was once a port of call for steam boats carrying cargo such as livestock and coal. This provided an essential lifeline to remote island communities.

Quay Street, completed in the late 19th century runs parallel to the pier. Behind it is the wooded hill known as 'The Lump'. It was here that public hangings once took place. At the top of 'The Lump' lie the ruins of an old look-out tower, built by Alexander MacLeod in 1851. The tower has now been restored.

Portree was originally known as Kiltaraglen (the chapel at the foot of the glen). The visit, in 1540, of James V, heralded a change of name for the township to Port an Righ (King's Harbour)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree Harbour, Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

1960s; 1970s

harbours; mountains; mountain; hills; ships; ship; boats; boat; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Portree Harbour and pier, with a view of the Cuillin Hills in the background. <br /> <br /> Portree pier was built by Thomas Telford in 1818-1820. The harbour was once a port of call for steam boats carrying cargo such as livestock and coal. This provided an essential lifeline to remote island communities. <br /> <br /> Quay Street, completed in the late 19th century runs parallel to the pier. Behind it is the wooded hill known as 'The Lump'. It was here that public hangings once took place. At the top of 'The Lump' lie the ruins of an old look-out tower, built by Alexander MacLeod in 1851. The tower has now been restored. <br /> <br /> Portree was originally known as Kiltaraglen (the chapel at the foot of the glen). The visit, in 1540, of James V, heralded a change of name for the township to Port an Righ (King's Harbour)