Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Aerial view of Fort Augustus Abbey
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0084
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31973
KEYWORDS
abbeys
forts
General Wade
Jacobites
Duke of Cumberland
postcards
Aerial view of Fort Augustus Abbey

This postcard shows a view of Fort Augustus Abbey. It was previously the site of a military fort built by General Wade after the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715. The fort was named after Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland.

In 1876, parts of the fort were used to form the basic structure for the abbey and school of the Benedictine Order. Monks remained at the abbey until as recently as 1998

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Aerial view of Fort Augustus Abbey

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1950s

abbeys; forts; General Wade; Jacobites; Duke of Cumberland; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of Fort Augustus Abbey. It was previously the site of a military fort built by General Wade after the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715. The fort was named after Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland. <br /> <br /> In 1876, parts of the fort were used to form the basic structure for the abbey and school of the Benedictine Order. Monks remained at the abbey until as recently as 1998