Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Square, Beauly
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0086
PLACENAME
Beauly
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31975
KEYWORDS
horses
horse
wagons
wagon
squares
streets
street
postcards
The Square, Beauly

This postcard shows everyday life at the square in Beauly. To the left, a goods wagon sits outside one of the town's premises, while to the right are possible tinkers' wagons. Many of the buildings still exist in the square today.

The Square, once the site of cattle markets, was laid out by Thomas Fraser of Strichen, Lord Lovat around 1840.

Beauly derives its name from the French, 'beau lieu' or 'beautiful place'

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Square, Beauly

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

1890s

horses; horse; wagons; wagon; squares; streets; street; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows everyday life at the square in Beauly. To the left, a goods wagon sits outside one of the town's premises, while to the right are possible tinkers' wagons. Many of the buildings still exist in the square today. <br /> <br /> The Square, once the site of cattle markets, was laid out by Thomas Fraser of Strichen, Lord Lovat around 1840. <br /> <br /> Beauly derives its name from the French, 'beau lieu' or 'beautiful place'