Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Canal locks at Fort Augustus
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0108
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31998
KEYWORDS
canals
Caledonian Canal
ships
ship
vessels
vessel
capstans
postcards
Canal locks at Fort Augustus

This postcard shows a steam ship passing through the locks of the Caledonian Canal, at Fort Augustus.

To the left, three men are operating the capstan. Capstans were used to open and close the locks, before mechanisation. Operators would walk round and round several times, pushing the capstan as they did so and as a result the gates and paddles would open and close. Mechanisation of the locks took place during the 1960s.

The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase' , a series of 8 locks at Banavie. Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803 by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Canal locks at Fort Augustus

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1930s; 1940s

canals; Caledonian Canal; ships; ship; vessels; vessel; capstans; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a steam ship passing through the locks of the Caledonian Canal, at Fort Augustus.<br /> <br /> To the left, three men are operating the capstan. Capstans were used to open and close the locks, before mechanisation. Operators would walk round and round several times, pushing the capstan as they did so and as a result the gates and paddles would open and close. Mechanisation of the locks took place during the 1960s.<br /> <br /> The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase' , a series of 8 locks at Banavie. Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803 by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47