Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Castle Sinclair Girnigoe, Wick
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0112
PLACENAME
Wick
DISTRICT
Caithness - Eastern
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32002
KEYWORDS
castles
ruins
postcards
Castle Sinclair Girnigoe, Wick

This postcard shows the ruins of Castle Sinclair Girnigoe, on the coast 3 miles (5km) north east of Wick.

It had previously been believed that two castles had been built here by the Earls of Caithness, one in the 15th century and the second at the beginning of the 17th century. The main structure became known as Castle Girnigoe and the other Castle Sinclair. It was thought that both had been destroyed by cannon during a siege in 1690.

However, the survey by FAS found that there had only ever been one castle on the site. Construction had begun as early as the late 14th century and the buildings had been added to over the years with the final additions made in the 17th century.

In 1606 the Earl of Caithness had obtained an Act of Parliament to change the name of the Castle from Castle Girnigoe to Castle Sinclair but both names remained in use which led to the confusion and error that there were two Castles on the site.

Castle Sinclair Girnigoe opened to the public on 1 August 2010 after a decade-long restoration project costing £700,000. A further two phases are planned which will turn the building into a major tourist attraction.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Castle Sinclair Girnigoe, Wick

CAITHNESS: Wick

1920s; 1930s

castles; ruins; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the ruins of Castle Sinclair Girnigoe, on the coast 3 miles (5km) north east of Wick. <br /> <br /> It had previously been believed that two castles had been built here by the Earls of Caithness, one in the 15th century and the second at the beginning of the 17th century. The main structure became known as Castle Girnigoe and the other Castle Sinclair. It was thought that both had been destroyed by cannon during a siege in 1690.<br /> <br /> However, the survey by FAS found that there had only ever been one castle on the site. Construction had begun as early as the late 14th century and the buildings had been added to over the years with the final additions made in the 17th century. <br /> <br /> In 1606 the Earl of Caithness had obtained an Act of Parliament to change the name of the Castle from Castle Girnigoe to Castle Sinclair but both names remained in use which led to the confusion and error that there were two Castles on the site.<br /> <br /> Castle Sinclair Girnigoe opened to the public on 1 August 2010 after a decade-long restoration project costing £700,000. A further two phases are planned which will turn the building into a major tourist attraction.