Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Noss Head Lighthouse
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0113
PLACENAME
Wick
DISTRICT
Caithness - Eastern
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32003
KEYWORDS
lighthouses
postcards
Noss Head Lighthouse

This postcard shows Noss Head Lighthouse, situated three miles outside the town of Wick It was built in 1846, with extensions and a foghorn added at a later date. The lighthouse was once contained within a walled area for self-sufficiency. Within the walls were a shed for grazing cattle, a laundry and a blacksmith shop.

The postcard is dated sometime between 1947 and 1950. A Lucas Freelight wind generator, which belonged to the lighthouse keeper at the time, can be seen to the left of the tower. The lighthouse had no electricity supply at the time so the generator was used to charge batteries for the radio and to provide some form of lighting.

Now fully automated, the lands and associated buildings are privately owned

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Noss Head Lighthouse

CAITHNESS: Wick

1940s

lighthouses; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Noss Head Lighthouse, situated three miles outside the town of Wick It was built in 1846, with extensions and a foghorn added at a later date. The lighthouse was once contained within a walled area for self-sufficiency. Within the walls were a shed for grazing cattle, a laundry and a blacksmith shop.<br /> <br /> The postcard is dated sometime between 1947 and 1950. A Lucas Freelight wind generator, which belonged to the lighthouse keeper at the time, can be seen to the left of the tower. The lighthouse had no electricity supply at the time so the generator was used to charge batteries for the radio and to provide some form of lighting.<br /> <br /> Now fully automated, the lands and associated buildings are privately owned