Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Thurso Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0116
PLACENAME
Thurso
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Thurso
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32006
KEYWORDS
castles
second world war
mines
postcards
Thurso Castle

This postcard shows a view of Thurso Castle, now dismantled.

The first Thurso Castle was built in 1660. A new castle was built nearby in the 19th century by Sir Tollemache Sinclair. The castle was the seat of the Sinclairs of Ulbster. It was built in the style of a French chateau close to the shore on the east of the river mouth. During World War II a sea mine exploded nearby and the castle became structurally unsafe

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Thurso Castle

CAITHNESS: Thurso

1950s

castles; second world war; mines; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of Thurso Castle, now dismantled.<br /> <br /> The first Thurso Castle was built in 1660. A new castle was built nearby in the 19th century by Sir Tollemache Sinclair. The castle was the seat of the Sinclairs of Ulbster. It was built in the style of a French chateau close to the shore on the east of the river mouth. During World War II a sea mine exploded nearby and the castle became structurally unsafe