Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bridge Street, Wick
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0125
PLACENAME
Wick
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
PERIOD
1960s; 1970s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32017
KEYWORDS
hotels
Station Hotel
Pulteneytown
Vikings
administrative centres
postcards
Pultneytown
banks
bridges
rivers
towns
Bridge Street, Wick

This postcard shows a view of Bridge Street in Wick. Many of the buildings on the street date back to the 1800s, including the Royal Bank of Scotland (right corner), built in 1830 and the Station Hotel (left corner).

In the foreground is the bridge, crossing the River Wick. Opened in 1807, it leads into the town formerly known as Pulteneytown.

The name 'Wick' comes from the Norse for 'bay'. During the 900s, the Vikings used the mouth of the River Wick as a harbour for their trading boats and longships. Wick remained the administrative centre of Caithness for almost 500 years

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bridge Street, Wick

CAITHNESS: Wick

1960s; 1970s

hotels; Station Hotel; Pulteneytown; Vikings; administrative centres; postcards; Pultneytown; banks; bridges; rivers; towns

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of Bridge Street in Wick. Many of the buildings on the street date back to the 1800s, including the Royal Bank of Scotland (right corner), built in 1830 and the Station Hotel (left corner).<br /> <br /> In the foreground is the bridge, crossing the River Wick. Opened in 1807, it leads into the town formerly known as Pulteneytown.<br /> <br /> The name 'Wick' comes from the Norse for 'bay'. During the 900s, the Vikings used the mouth of the River Wick as a harbour for their trading boats and longships. Wick remained the administrative centre of Caithness for almost 500 years