Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Aerial view of Kingussie
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0127
PLACENAME
Kingussie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32019
KEYWORDS
villages
hotels
Duke of Gordon
Duke of Gordon Hotel
postcards
Aerial view of Kingussie

This postcard shows an aerial view of Kingussie. The Duke of Gordon Hotel can be seen on the far left. Built in 1836, the hotel took its name from the founder of the village. Kingussie clock tower is visible in the distance (top centre).

The Kirk of Kingussie was at a ford of the River Spey and was surrounded by a handful of houses. In 1799 the Duke of Gordon decided that the parish needed a village and a plan was drawn up.

The planned village of Kingussie grew slowly until it was put on the main road from Inverness to Perth and Fort William by the bridging of the River Spey and the River Laggan at the beginning of the 19th century. Another boost to the village's growth came when outlying tenants were relocated to Kingussie to make way for sheep

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Aerial view of Kingussie

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

1950s

villages; hotels; Duke of Gordon; Duke of Gordon Hotel; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows an aerial view of Kingussie. The Duke of Gordon Hotel can be seen on the far left. Built in 1836, the hotel took its name from the founder of the village. Kingussie clock tower is visible in the distance (top centre).<br /> <br /> The Kirk of Kingussie was at a ford of the River Spey and was surrounded by a handful of houses. In 1799 the Duke of Gordon decided that the parish needed a village and a plan was drawn up. <br /> <br /> The planned village of Kingussie grew slowly until it was put on the main road from Inverness to Perth and Fort William by the bridging of the River Spey and the River Laggan at the beginning of the 19th century. Another boost to the village's growth came when outlying tenants were relocated to Kingussie to make way for sheep